Friday, June 4, 2010

Our Schedule? Part Two

I'm thinking a better title for these posts would have been "Our General Guideline" or "A Very Loose Outline of Our Day".  It's pretty funny because since writing down the schedule that I try to follow during most of our days, the baby has (again) shifted in the times that he naps & wakes.

Still, I will write down the remainder of our 'schedule'.  It really does make me feel better having something written down.  Here's the last half of our day (more or less)

3:00 - 3:30 - Big boys wake up.  (The baby?  Who knows.  Sometimes he takes many mini-naps in the p.m.  Sometimes he takes one big nap.  Oh, and 5 yr. old Edison has reached a point where he usually doesn't fall asleep, so he is required to have a 1/2 hour-1 hour rest/quiet time.)

3:00 - 4:00 - Boys play, I continue to work on laundry, etc.  Usually a 6th feeding for baby somewhere in here (nurse)

4:00 - Oldest son comes home from school.  Boys watch 1/2 hour kid's show.

4:30 - 7th feeding for baby (baby cereal & fruit)  Dinner preparations.  Begin the hardest hour of the day.  Kids are grumpy.  Mom is tired & grumpy.

5:00 - Continue dinner prep

Betw. 5:30 - 6:00 - Hubby comes home.  Sit down for dinner.  Somewhere in here the baby usually wants to be nursed again & may even fall asleep for a 15-30 minute nap.  Murphy's law - Baby always wants to eat when Mama eats.

Betw. 6:00 - 6:30 - Dinner cleanup.  Hubby starts his evening projects (working on van or motorcycle, working on an engine, cutting wood, mowing lawn, working on rental property, etc. etc.)  Post-dinner does not usually signal a time for rest.  The work continues until after the children are in bed.

7:30-8:00 - Begin bedtime prep for kids.  Baths (usually every other night...except in summer if they are especially hot & dirty).  Pajamas, teeth, story.  Dad handles big boys while mama works with baby.

By 8:30 hopefully all boys are in bed.  I sit down to nurse Joseph one more time & he usually settles down by 9:00.

9:00 - Collapse, veg in front of the t.v. for an hour or so.

10:30 - Bed.

Now that I have a general schedule written out I'd like to figure out my optimal times to do the following...
1.  Time to read my Bible & pray
2.  Time to accomplish specific chores for the day (make a list of items I want to accomplish each day so it doesn't seem like a never-ending project that is impossible to do.)
3.  Time to play with my children with no chores or other distractions
4.  Time for outside work (garden, flowerbeds) which often gets ignored.

2 comments:

  1. I thought I had this schedule thing all figured out--study time, play time, chore time. Then school got out. And now I'm back to refiguring! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    Found your blog from Kerri's or Jen's I think! :)
    Nice to meet you!!
    I love that you are putting your schedule down on paper! What a great way to try and stay focused!

    Your boys are adorable...three girls in our house!
    I'm following so I can come back and visit often!
    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails