Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Why I'm Not Reading This Book

I've heard some buzz about this book called 50 Shades of Gray by E.L. James.  And, I know some Christian women who are reading it or who have read it.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the book, it is a book that falls into the erotica genre and explores the world of sadism, masochism, & bondage. And, apparently a lot of women have become completely drawn into this book.

My cousin's wife posted a link to this article on Facebook today....

I'm Not Reading Fifty Shades of Grey by Dannah Gresh

Dannah sums up perfectly why I'm not reading the book.  Take a minute to read her post.  She speaks a lot of truth.  And, just in case you wanted a little more of my own opinion...here's what I commented on Facebook....

"Very interesting post. I only recently heard about this book because I know different folks who've been reading it. I looked into what it was about, and I'll admit it sounded like an interesting read, I knew it wouldn't be one I'd be picking up.

I'm not one of those Christian women who thinks I can only read Christian fiction. Truth be told, a lot of Christian fiction disappoints, and I think most secular fiction is actually better written. However, I've had to be careful about what I DO read because I can get images & thoughts stuck in my head for a very long time.

I picked up a book not too long ago that had wonderful reviews, what sounded like a really fabulous storyline that followed the lives of 2 sisters over 50 years. But, at the very beginning of the story was a very graphic, disturbing description of one of those sisters being molested by her stepfather. I had to stop reading. It just wasn't something I wanted in my head.

And, I think that's the main reason I won't be reading 50 Shades of Gray. God knows how powerful thoughts can be. He knows how our brains function. Philippians 4:8 sums up how we can discern what we should or shouldn't read or watch pretty clearly...."Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.""


And, finally, taken directly from the synopsis for the book on Amazon.com.......
".....Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever."

 And, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I don't want.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not reading it either. Glad to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails