Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Overwhelmed, Part 2...We Are Not Consumed

Today was a better day.

1.  I had my coffe on the front porch and read from my Bible.  I will admit that I rarely make personal time with God.  I pray throughout the day, but I almost never quiet myself and read from His word.  And, when I do I receive such peace and I wonder why I don't do it all the time.

2. I babysat my friend's 2 little girls today.  It might seem counter-intuitive, but sometimes having additional children actually makes the day go easier.  My boys fight less and entertain themselves better.

3.  It was HOT today.  We have no air conditioning (except window units that my husband hasn't put in yet).  So, I sat in the coolest room to nurse the baby.  Windows were open and the fan in one of the windows was pushing in a cool breeze.  It was so calming.  And, I especially love it when Joseph's little fist clutches my shirt as he nurses.

4.  I pretty much ignored housework & laundry and played with my children today.  They were happier and I was happier.  I'm not sure if I'll have clean underwear to wear tomorrow, but I suppose I'll worry about that then.

5.  I played the local Christian radio station softly in the background.  I don't often listen to music during the day.  Often it's just more noise.  But, today it was refreshing and relaxing.


I mentioned in my post yesterday that I got a huge number of responses from my friends when I posted my numerous frustrations on Facebook.  Many of the responses were friends telling me how much they could relate, how they struggle with the very same things.

Truth #1 - We are not alone!  Other women struggle too.  If we could get beyond the comparison trap and reach out to one another we'd be so much better off.  One friend sent me this word of wisdom... "Don't let CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) keep you isolated! " 
Oh, how often I do this very thing!  Satan would love nothing more than for use to stay isolated from others so he can continue to feed us lies.


Truth #2 - This is a season. Sometimes it feels like life as it now is will last forever.  And, it won't.  The children will grow.  They will become more independent.  And, they will be able to help around the house more.  Right now I have 4 boys under the age of 7.  A bit of chaos is to be expected.  

Truth #3 - God LOVES us so much and freely gives us grace.  Lately I have really been relating to Martha.  In Luke 10, Jesus is at the home of Mary and Martha.  And, you know the deal - Martha was busy, busy trying to serve the Lord with her preparations & meal.  Mary was hanging out at Jesus' feet.  I used to relate to Mary.  I really did.  And, I thought that Martha was sour grapes, a party pooper.  Wow.  How it has changed for me.  

When Jesus says, "Martha, Martha.  You are worried and upset about many things.",  he could be speaking directly to me.  I used to think that Jesus said this in a bit of an exasperated way.  But, now, I read it differently.  I can hear the compassion in his voice.   He goes on to say "but only one thing is needed.".  One thing.  One.  

We women are multitaskers.  Our minds have ongoing lists of items to be completed.  It's hard to quiet all the many, many thoughts that assail us.  But, only One matters.  And, that One loves us so much!

When I was in the midst of my meltdown on Saturday I was crying out to God and listing frustration after frustration.  And, as I prayed thinking of all the things weighing me down, I just became more and more upset.  But, then, very clearly I heard God speak to my spirit, "Just let me love you."  At first, I couldn't stop my tirade to God.  I kept telling him why I was so upset.

Over and over I heard, "Just let me love you."

Truth #4 - All our worries will pass away.
In my women's devotional Bible there is this devotional story that tells of a mother taking a walk with her young son.  He is picking up sticks and stones as they walk home, holding on desperately to each treasure that he finds.  Even though his hands are full and he is dropping them, they have to stop and pick them back up.  And, he struggles to carry them all back home.  Both mom and son are exhausted by the time they get home.   Here is the end of the story...
Time With Daddy
by Janice Kempe
"He struggled up the front steps throught the front door.  But suddenly he let go of his precious treasures, and the fell to the front hall floor.  His determined scowl melted into a big grin.  He ran off as if the things he had struggled to bring home had lost their value.  Kevin had seen something far more important...Daddy!"

"I too get burdened down by my treasures.  My house, my belongings, my responsibilities, and all the things I've spent so much time and energy acquiring seem tot take me over sometimes.  I find myself attending to their care with an overwhelming singlemindedness.  Sometimes I need to see God and do more than just acknowledge his presence.  I need to drop everything else and run to him.  I need to forsake the housework, the shopping, and the thousand other things that occupy my time, and go to him for a time of togetherness."

Truth #5 - We are not consumed.  
Lamentations 3: 22-23 says..."Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."


2 comments:

  1. What a great way for me to start my day! So glad I stopped by!
    Thanks!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    :) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! As I read Part 1 of this post, I could totally relate to your feelings of frustration. I feel that way most of the time. Now, this post has reminded me that being Mary instead of Martha is ok! Thank you...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails