Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Naptime!

I love naptime! It's usually the only time during the day that I can have a little time to myself and maybe even a coherent, uninterrupted thought. My boys are early risers. And they are on full speed from the moment they wake up. Me? Not so much. I would prefer to have about an hour to myself to clear the cobwebs from my brain and reach at least a functional mode. However, I don't have that luxury...but I do have coffee!

So, I really look forward to that time of day when the house is quiet, no-one is demanding anything from me, and I can do whatever I want to do in peace. I usually eat my lunch over naptime. It's my only quiet, stress-free meal of the day. And, I do stuff on the computer over naptime. Lately, I've been working on this blog. But, before this, I was spending the time on Facebook.

I sometimes feel guilty for not utilizing this time to get more done around the house. I certainly don't get much done when the boys are awake! While there are days that I do get some housework accomplished over naptime, I also feel like this is my only break during the day. With the big boys awake between 6-6:30 a.m. and the baby finally tuckering out between 9:30-10 p.m., I think I put in more than enough hours.

Sometimes people are surprised to find out that my 4 (almost 5) year old still naps. It's not to say that he doesn't moan and groan about it...because he does. And, there are days that I hear him bumping around upstairs and I know he's not sleeping. But, for the most part he still sleeps over this time. His body would probably be fine without a nap. But, you know what? I need him to take that nap. And, so, I enforce naptime. Does that make me a mean mommy?

If you think that makes me a mean mommy, then this next confession makes me even meaner. I will often make my first grader take a nap as well on days he's home from school. And, on Sundays, we ALL take naps...Mommy & Daddy too. It's just something that works for us.

I do realize there is coming a day very soon where my older boys will definitely be beyond an age where I can continue to have them take naps. (Although,if it were up to me they'd still be napping at 16!) Even so, I think it's still a good idea to have a quiet time of some sort in the afternoons. We can all benefit from slowing down just a bit.

For now, I'll enjoy the bit of a respite that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails