Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Few Thoughts

Hello Everyone!  It's nice to be able to access my blog and your blogs again.  Yesterday my computer was having issues and would freeze up everytime I tried to load a page.  It's funny how one little thing like not being able to use my computer affected my day!  (Maybe that says something about how dependent I've become on the internet....but that's another subject for another day.)


A few thoughts today....


1.  I talked about how to handle Halloween in this post a few days ago and in a post last year.  Here are a few more ideas on the subject....


 - I need to be obedient to how the Holy Spirit is leading me.  If I feel uneasy or not at peace on the subject then I'd better pay attention to what God is trying to say to me.  Not every Christian may agree or have the same conviction, but I need to follow His leading.


 - A friend posted this link on Facebook. 


   If you have 10 or 15 minutes you could take to read the article I highly recommend it!  The gist of what it says is that Christians typically deal with Halloween in one of 2 ways, naivete (it's not really evil) or retreat (we won't participate in any way).  The author, David Mathis, suggests a third option - take the offensive against the evil one and use this holiday as an opportunity to advance God's kingdom.  


I liked a lot that he had to say.  My only regret is that he didn't offer many practical ways to make this happen.  However, today a friend was talking to me about whether or not we were going trick or treating (and we already told our boys we aren't).  She mentioned that some nursing homes open their doors on that night to children and that the residents enjoy handing out treats to the children.  After reading this article, I thought - what if WE brought a treat to them?  


I think my husband still sees it as participating in something evil.  But, to be honest this approach discussed in the article seems to make the most sense to me.


2.  I am almost finished re-doing my parent's old dining room table.  But, as with almost any project, I've run into some snags.  I thought I'd be done with it yesterday, but my final coat of polyeurothane got messed up in a couple areas.  The children say they didn't touch it while it was wet, but it really seems that might be what happened.  So, John suggested letting it dry several days before sanding out the rough patches & putting on another coat.  Maybe next week I'll have pictures for you?


3.  Finally a funny story from earlier in this week.  I shared it on facebook and I think I'll share it here too.  Hope you get a chuckle....


The other night one of the boys (who shall remain nameless here) was having some major gas issues. 

I asked him, "WHAT did you eat?".


"I don't know," he responded. 



Then after thinking about it for a few seconds he continued, "Well, I did have four Fiber One bars today."

!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails