Friday, October 14, 2011

Chick Chick Stew

So I made up that little nickname for this new recipe I found.  It's actually Chicken and Chickpea Stew.  But, Chick Chick Stew just sounds cuter and fun for the kids, right?


Anyway, as much as I love cookbooks, I have also been loving the ability to google recipes on the internet.  The other day I was trying to think of something different to do with the chicken I'd thawed for dinner.  I looked through the cupboards to see what else I had on hand (it was soon time to go grocery shopping again so it was limited) and I  noticed a can of chickpeas.


Now, most cookbooks don't have a cross-reference guide, so for quickly finding options based on ingredients available, the internet is the way to go.  When I typed into google... crockpot recipe using chicken and chickpeas...I came up with quite a few options.  Here's the one I picked.


picture from About.com


Lowfat Chicken and Chickpea Stew  (as taken from About.com)



Enjoy this mildly spiced, slightly sweet chicken and chickpea stew with some whole-wheat couscous for a Middle Eastern-inspired supper, or with some whole-grain rice or noodles.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 15 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat, and cut into pieces
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 carrots, sliced on the diagonal
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium garbanzo beans/chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
Preparation:
Coat a 3-4 quart crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Combine spices and sprinkle over chicken thighs. Add onions, carrots, and crushed garlic to the crockpot. Lay chicken thighs on top, followed by chickpeas and canned tomatoes.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
One notation I would make is that this recipe does not call for any salt.  I added about a teaspoon to help bring out the flavors.  And, don't skip the turmeric!  I almost did because I didn't have it on hand.  But, at the last minute I decided to run out and get some.  It added the color and  the essential flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails