Tuesday, March 29, 2011

When I Grow Up

It used to be I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up. When I was a teenager, you could ask and I didn't need to hesitate. Hands down I knew I wanted to be a wife and a mother. And, until that dream came to fruition I worked with children in any capacity that I could. I got my degree in elementary/ early childhood education and worked in the education field from that point on. (I must note that I did dabble with the idea of studying journalism or literature. Reading & writing were also my passions.)

Fast forward to the present. I am living out my dream of being a wife and mother. And, it consumes my time and energy almost completely. And, I'm glad for it. Tough as it can be some days, this is exactly where I was always meant to be.

I've had some people ask me recently what I'll do when my children are all in school. With a one year old, that's still a number of years away. But, it's a valid question. Some have asked if I'll get back into education. Will I renew my teaching certificate?

Probably not. I think my time for working in that particular field has passed. So, then what?

Well, I know that I want to do something that will still give me the flexibility and ability to be home when my children are home - when they have vacation days, snow days, sick days - I want to be there. Even when my children are teenagers, I want to be there to send them off on the bus and to be there to greet them when they get home. Maybe I'm old-fashioned in that way, but it's important to me and it's what I hope to be able to do.

Something requiring that kind of flexibility would almost have to be a home-based business.

So, I've had a few ideas brewing in my head. I've always had an itch to do something creative. I'm not necessarily a crafty person. But, I do like the idea of creating things - seeing what I can make. I tried drawing and painting for a little bit. But, that's probably not my forte.

Do you know what really gets me excited? Furniture. Whenever I see a piece of furniture I notice right away if it has good bones. And, often I can see it for what it could be.

Like this piece I noticed today on Craigslist.
It's listed as needing some TLC and it does need that. But, can you see how awesome this would be either painted white and distressed or even sanded down and given a beautiful new stain?

Part of me wanted so badly to go get this piece of furniture. My hands were itching to get a hold of it. But, the fact is that right now I don't have the time or energy to put into projects of this nature.

But, someday, I might. And, so the thoughts of having my own trash to treasure type business (I've been inspired too by the ladies at My Dear Trash) are starting to formulate in my mind. It seems like a really appealing idea. Who knows. Maybe I'd get into it and find it too tedious. Maybe I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I think I would.

But, remember when I redid this bench?

It was a $15 yard sale find. It took me well over a year, but when I finally got around to the project and painted it, it now looks like this...


And, I loved seeing that transformation. It gave me such a sense of accomplishment.


So, who knows? Maybe when I grow up, I can do this type of a thing for a 'living'. We'll see.

If you could do any job or start any kind of business, what would be your passion? What do you dream of trying?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that piece does have some great bones!! Can't believe you had the restraint to pass it up...with your mad refinishing skills and all!!:)
    When Aubrey goes to school I will probably sub a bit till I decide what I want to do for "real". Not sure I will return to the classroom for quite a bit....can't imagine juggling all of that right now! but who knows.
    Have a happy day

    Have your boys ever watched Between the Lions on PBS? Great show and it always showcases a great childrens book (kind of like Reading Rainbow) after watching it we would always order that book from the library. They might like that.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% Karen. I used to teach also and I have NO desire to go back when my kids are in school. People do ask me all the time too. I always thought it was because my hubby is a principal and I hear lots of negatives (not that he has a lot of negativity, I am just the only person he can vent to) and that really makes me want to stay away. Besides our lovely lawmakers have decided that teachers (and other public workers) have to take the hit for the budget crisis right now and all those changes are really scary and make me want to stay far away from education. I got a part time subbing job as a weight watchers receptionist which I loved every time I got to sub. Now that I am preggers I have to take a break, they don't exactly want to encourage weight loss for pregnant women. Anyway, I thought that would be a good fit for me because I too want to work while the kids are at school but still run our household, so I thought working daytime meetings would be the answer. I will have to wait and see on that one. I love to redo furniture as well. I love your bench by the way. I have thought of that too. Starting my own business is really scary so I probably can't do that. I have no problem working as a secretary, assistant, or at the library. I want a job that does not require me to work at home when I am done, I feel like that time is for my family which is another reason why teaching is so unappealing right now. Oh well, like you, I have some time to figure that stuff out. But it does help to think about it. Good luck in whatever you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all your beginning of your post sounds like my "Hope Chest" post and it is so wonderful to see God has provided beyond our hopes or dreams.

    I love painting furniture..in fact, almost anything creative. I had my own interior decorating business for years...when the first four were little and before home schooling took over and I loved the creative part.

    My husband found a footstool the other day and brought it in for me to re-do..I have a 29 year old rocking chair I have taken a part to re-do in the garage, and just recently finished painting our 30 year old coffee tables.

    I too would love the have another home based business...my last one failed so I am taking it slow before I invest again.

    Blessings on your home business....you will enjoy being creative.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails