Tuesday, April 20, 2010

40 by 40

Yesterday, I mentioned that today I would reveal a personal goal of mine...a little project I'm calling 40 by 40. So, are you just dying to know what it's all about? Well, even if you aren't necessarily chomping at the bit, I'll fill you in anyway.

My goal is to lose 40 pounds by the time I turn (ahem) 40....hereafter to be referred to as 40 by 40. There are several things I might not normally want you to know that I am revealing by sharing this information with you. The first is that (YIKES!) I'm turning 40 this year...on November 13 to be exact. The other is that I have at least 40 pounds to lose. (It is no accident that you will only see head shots of me in my blog.)

I am going to take it a step further and reveal my actual weight on Friday. I will make Fridays my weigh-in day (no clothes, first thing in the morning, after I've peed....my husband always laughs at me for that). Until Friday, let's just say that 40 pounds will bring me back down to a healthy weight. 50 would probably be even better. And, 60 would put me at the thinnest I ever was as an adult.

I'm thinking 40 pounds is realistic. After all, I've had four children. My metabolism is slowing down a little more each year. And, I want this to be something doable. Plus, we're looking at about 6 1/2 months between now and my birthday so that would be 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week which is considered average & healthy.

I promise this will not become a dieting blog. I will have my weigh-in and updates on Fridays, mostly because I need some sense of accountability. I'm not sure how many of you are actually out there reading this. But, the idea that there are some people who know my goal will hopefully help motivate me & help me stick to it. I may also write about some healthy eating/living tips I discover along the way.

Mostly, I want to feel good about myself again. I know that my self-worth is not based on physical appearance. But, I also know that carrying extra weight is uncomfortable & unhealthy. I want to be active with my children as they grow up. And, I want to pass along healthy habits to them.

So, will you stand alongside me as I start this process? I've mentioned before that I have some real issues with food. I know that the biggest thing that I can do is to pray and rely on God's strength to help me. I can't do it on my own.

2 comments:

  1. You can do it Karen! I'm sure there are lots of motivating blogs out there too for a little inspiration. Two cites that have really helped me are livestrong.com (makes it very easy to keep track of what you're eating daily) and a daily email from hungrygirl.com. I lost 15 lbs. last year through exercise alone....now if I could just get my food issues under control too...I'd be in good shape! I think it's cool you're going to blog about your 40 by 40!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can do it!! And what a great season to "diet", when you can be out and about with the children, PLUS all the work of your garden will keep you active. It'll feel so good. If there is anything I can do, just say the word. <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails