Thursday, November 17, 2011

Running

I really didn't want to go running today.  It's cold.  I felt like I was catching a cold.  I was tired.  I just didn't feel like it.  And, I'd already been on a 2 day running hiatus (Tuesday I was prepping for Charlie's birthday party.  Wednesday it was raining.) so it was even harder to drum up any motivation.


Then John came home for lunch and asked me why I wasn't in my running clothes.


"I'm not going today.  It's cold."  I said.


He motioned up the stairs, "Go change into your clothes & go on your run."


I just looked at him.


"This is the week you're going to want to try to go the whole 3 miles around the block if you're going to be ready for the 5K, " he said.


"Oh. OK."  I quickly went to change.  He gave me the motivation I needed when I didn't have any of my own.


I didn't have time to go around the block today.  John had to get back to work earlier today.   (For you city or suburbanite folk, a country block IS 3 miles.  Seriously.  We checked the mileage on a drive around the block.)  


But, I did still reach a running milestone.  I went a total of 2 miles.  I ran the entire first mile (down to the stop sign...yup it's one mile to the stop!) and then ran the second mile (coming back up the road) with 4 short walking intervals (I saved the walking part for the uphill areas).  


And, I feel really good.  Tomorrow I won't be able to run because I have a meeting over lunch.  But, Saturday my goal is to go the whole 3 miles!  I know that once I go past the stop sign and start going around the block there's no turning back.  But, after today I feel pretty confident I can do it.


You know whenever I used to see people running I always would think they looked so strong, fit, dedicated, and confident.  That's what I'm aiming for!  Strong. Fit. Dedicated. Confident.


Today also marked the 10th time I've run since I started 2 weeks ago.  Not major for folks who run regularly, but for me that's huge!  And, I've lost 4.2 pounds since I started running. So, it has jump started my metabolism and gotten the scale moving again.


And, I'm so thankful for a husband who motivates me even when I'm not feeling motivated!

6 comments:

  1. Yay! You go Karen! I think it is great your hubby made you go even if I would have been a little peeved at first. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is awesome that your husband is your best cheerleader, yay for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Karen! You are motivating me. Except, I'm still sitting here in front of my computer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations...and yea! for you. I have never been a runner, but I am getting on the elliptical for 45 minutes...any weight loss for me...NO!!
    What a great motivator your husband is and go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're almost motivating me. Keep it up! Maybe I'll start one of these days. I'm happy for your success and what a great hubby you have!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails