Monday, August 15, 2011

Before & After Pics and a Dose of Reality


Good Morning!  I hope everyone had a great weekend!  To start off the week I have a few fun pics to share with you.

Do you remember this chair that I found alongside the road waiting for the trashman?  It was such an interesting piece with lots of character.  It just needed a little TLC.


The project took me a little longer than I planned because I had trouble deciding what kind of fabric I wanted to use on the seat.  But, the finished product looks like this....



See?  It just needed a little love.

Another project I wanted to complete this summer was to clean out my computer (ahem...junk) room.  We have a small house with virtually no closet space.  So, this room somehow became the collect all space for things we didn't know what to do with.  The before picture I am going to show you is actually not a picture of it at it's worst.  I forgot to take pictures before I began the cleanup process.

So, take a look at the before picture and add to it about twice the clutter, plus a few pieces of furniture waiting to go to the attic shoved against the wall to the left (with stuff piled on top of them too).  Then you'll have a fairly accurate idea of how the room looked.

Here's the Before.




Do you kinda get the idea?  My after pics would look so much more dramatic if I could give you the full effect of how messy the room was.  But, at any rate, I decided to clean it up a bit AND to give the boys a designated downstairs play area.  


I had some toys in the living room, but  our living room is really so small there wasn't much room for them to play.  This is still a small space, but it gives them an area of easy access to some toys (In the living room they were all shoved in a small cupboard and it was hard for the boys to see what they wanted much less to get it out and put it away on their own.)


So, here's the after pictures...


 (My husband loves this blue recliner.  I'd be just as happy if it left.  It takes up half the room.  But, it's where he rests each day for a few minutes when he comes home for lunch.)



Finally, I took some inspiration from You Can Call Me Jane at Thy Hand Hath Provided and I'd like to include a dose of reality.  Last week she showed some pictures of her kitchen and how it typically looks during the summer months when she's busy with fresh produce, canning, etc.

We've all seen those pictures in magazines & even on other blogs of kitchens with completely bare countertops.  They almost look like they are never used.  Well, my kitchen - even at it's best - never looks like that.  And, I'm OK with that.

I practically live in my kitchen....especially in the summer months.  So, I thought I'd share some pictures of what my kitchen typically looks like at this time of year.

Waiting to be canned:
  
Random stuff always collects at this end.  Note the half eaten apples my boys stuck on the counter.

On this side are the tomatoes, etc. that are bruised and need to be used ASAP

Hey Jane, I let my dishes air dry too.  And, scraps go into a 'yuck bucket' which is then taken to the chickens.

Also waiting for canning.

How does your kitchen look this summer?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post and all it's pictures!! Your living room looks awesome and your kitchen makes me feel right at home:-).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails