I thought this was a fun idea. I like the idea of comparing the price of things depending on the area you live in, where you shop, etc. So, my post today will be 2 parts. First I will answer Chatty Mommy's question about the price of certain items. Then, since I actually made a grocery run this morning, I'll share my 'grocery cart' expenses with you.
Chatty Mommy asked how much we spend on each of these items....
*Note: I do most of my shopping at a discount grocery store. Often they have overstock items, some scratch & dent and outdated items too.
- a gallon of regular gas - $3.33 gallon
- a gallon of milk - at the store 2% is $3.79, whole is $4.00. We recently switched to raw milk, so I spend $4.00 a gallon where I buy it. If I bought directly from the dairy it would be less.
- a box of 4 sticks of butter- normally $2.49. Today I got a deal at $1.79
- a dozen eggs- We used to pay '0'. But we recently got rid of our chickens. They were getting old for layers (about 3 years old) & we didn't want to have to winterize for them. We'll get a new batch of chicks in the spring. At the store, large white were $2.09, large brown were $2.00. We pay $2.00 at the farm where we've been getting eggs (pastured).
- a loaf of bread- I usually get Maier's Italian day old bread for about $1.00. Today I found Sara Lee Honey Wheat day old bread for 79 cents a loaf & Sara Lee Cinnamon Raisin day old for $1.29. A regular loaf of Schmidt whole wheat bread was $2.49
- a bunch of bananas - my discount store is usually around 49 cents a pound. Walmart is usually around 59 cents a pound. Today I hit the jackpot and got a case of finger bananas for $3.99
Now here's what I brought home today.....
- Bag of home-made thin noodles - $2.79
- Case single finger bananas - 3.99
- Case Fit & Active yogurt (12 containers) - 2.99
- Gallon distilled water - .99
- 2 Land o Lakes 4 stick butter packs - 1.79 each
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese 1.39
- 10 x sugar (1.89 pounds) 1.59
- 2 avocados 2/1.00
- 2 Sara Lee Honey Wheat loafs .79 each
- Sara Lee Cinnamon Raisin Bread 1.29
- Gold Medal Flour (5.37 pounds) 2.36
- Rolled Oats (3.62 pounds) 2.06
- Brown Sugar (4.86 pounds) 4.33
- Pepperidge Farm Goldfish .99
- White & Red Grapes ( 1.62 pounds) 1.93
- Hand Soap .99
- Pineapple .99
- Bosc Pears ( 3 lb. bag) 2.99
- 16 oz. Mozarella 1.49
- Sliced deli turkey (.48 pounds) 1.44
- Whole cut chicken (4.79 pounds) 6.64
- bag arugula .79
- container of romaine .99