Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Citrus Arugula Salad

I'm still here.  I haven't been posting much because I really am trying to keep my head above water with Christmas preparations.  Boy, that sentence sounds so wrong doesn't it?  Why do I stress myself out every year?


Anyway, God is also really working on my heart this season.  I'm still trying to process everything He's trying to say to me. 


On a lighter note, I wanted to share a yummy idea you could include with your Christmas dinner.  I made these for our mom's group Christmas brunch.  And, they really turned out nice.  They're pretty too.



Citrus Arugula Salad on Parmesan Baskets



First, to make the parmesan basket you take shredded parmesan cheese (it's fine 
too if it's a blend of romano & asiago & parmesan) and you spoon 1-2 tablespoons 
of the cheese on a cookie sheet.  Then use your fingers to spread the cheese out 
into a circle.  I put about 3 of these circles on a cookie sheet at a time.  I 
greased my sheet for the first batch but didn't need to after that. 
 Bake at 350 

degrees for about 5 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.  Allow to cool 
slightly, but when it is still warm & pliable you want to use a metal spatula to 
take the parmesan circle off the sheet and drape over an upside down cup to mold 
into a cup/basket shape.  I usually take a paper towel or cloth & actually press 
the sides down to help mold the shape.    This is a link that shows the process 
step by step....http://whatscookingamerica.net/Appetizers/ParmesanCrisp.htm  
(You can also make them stove top using a small skillet.  I've done it that way 
before too...but for making a large number the oven was the way to go) 
 
The salad was simply a mix of arugula & baby spinach tossed with this 
vinaigrette & then topped with mandarin oranges 
 
Honey Mandarin-Lime Vinaigrette 
3/4 c. cider vinegar (I actually used white vinegar) 
3/4 c. Mandarin orange juice 
2 T. lime juice 
3 T. honey 
1 T. brown sugar 
1 shallot clove minced 
1 1/2 c. olive oil 
pinch of salt 
 
Combine all ingredients except olive oil in blender & blend well.  Then on a low 
blend speed, drizzle in olive oil until well mixed. 

2 comments:

  1. Those sound yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, karen, this salad looks soooo delicious!! good one, thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails