Monday, April 25, 2011

Keepin' Busy

Hi everyone!  I hope you had a blessed Easter!  I feel like I haven't had time to post on here, but thought I'd stop in real quick & give a little rundown of what's going on around here....


1.  The boys had 3 days off of school...Thursday, Friday, and Monday.  Plus I had to keep Edison home on Wednesday because he had pink eye.  I know there are lots of wonderful people out there who homeschool and I just have to say "You amaze me!".  I'm going a little nuts with all four boys here at home.  And, they are getting antsy.  It's time to send them back to school.  I'm going to have to come up with a gameplan for summer!


2.  Related to that last thought....Do your children entertain themselves well?  My boys seem to need me constantly.  Even when I send them outside to play, they want me with them.  I'm all for interacting with my kids and I do.  But, I still have work I need to get done too.  And, it seems to me that when I was a girl, my sister and I could entertain ourselves for hours.  (Mom, I know you're reading this.  Am I right?)


3.  We had a lovely Easter with our families.  The boys are completely stocked up on candy for the next 5 years.  And, we had a beautiful day - very warm & sunny with a bit of a breeze.


4.  I make a kickin' dessert for Easter (if I say so myself).  I made a white Texas sheet cake and I made a strawberry rhubarb sauce (from our own fresh rhubarb!).  We spooned the sauce over top the cake and it was super yummo.  I'll share the recipes here soon.


5.  I recently watched the documentary "Food, Inc."  and I'm not sure if I ever want to buy anything from the grocery store again.  


We are blissfully unaware of what goes into making, processing, etc. the food we so willingly eat.  And, the documentary painted a disturbing picture indeed.  John and I do grow some of our own fruits/vegetables already.  We raise chickens for eggs.  And, we usually have deer meat in our freezer since John is a hunter.  (Nothing like eating meat that comes from it's natural habitat.  Plus, it's a very lean meat.)  But, I would still love to figure out a way to buy even more of our food from local, fresh, organic sources.




6.  I've got a lot on my mind from a spiritual standpoint too.  It's too much to go into right now.  But, I'm doing a lot of searching and praying.


7.  I was thrilled to find 'volunteer' cilantro growing in my side flowerbed.  (My father-in-law always uses that term when something comes up from seed from the previous years planting on it's own.).  I did plant some there last year and it didn't do all that well.  But, apparently some seeds took root and so far it looks like it could do really well...as long as my husband stops mowing over it!


Have a great week!

5 comments:

  1. I agree, homeschooler moms are awesome! My kids need me too, all, the, time! And our Easter was nice too, rainy, but nice. Food Inc, changed so much for me after I watched it. I have spent the last year or so doing a lot of research on my own about food and it is shocking how uninformed we consumers are. I read the companion book and a couple others by Michael Pollan (I think that is his name- the guy who talks a lot throughout the movie), it has really changed the way we eat and shop. Love that you have some volunteer cilantro, I adore cilantro and I would be thrilled to have some fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that my kids are starting to get along and play by themselves pretty well. But I am starting to try and get them to work things out for themselves instead of always coming to me- this has been a process!
    I know this sounds funny, but I usually ignore my kids and they learn to entertain themselves.
    Like if they need me to fix a polly pocket (I know the boys don't need you for this one), I usually tell them in a minute, in a minute and they usually figure it out themselves. And then eventually they don't ask me anymore.
    I do read to them and we do things together. But, if I had to do everything together with them, dinner would always be late and I would never fold any of the mounting laundry.
    I am a little happy the kids are going back to school, not because I don't like them home, but because we have a better schedule when they are.
    I am with you on the trying to get a system for the summer!
    Keep me posted.
    Love the "volunteer" term!
    I would take any volunteers for my non-existent garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a wonderful Easter! That's fantastic.

    I haven't seen Food Inc. yet. I do want to as I read "In Defense of Food" and "Food Rules" and loved them both. I'm quite disturbed by the state of our food supply and do wish I could do more. I've found some farmers and a local butcher in our area that I rely on. Our supermarket often has organic produce on sale and I'm just doing the best I can. If you look around you'll find all kinds of hidden treasures in your area. Once I started looking farmers began referring me to others. Have fun discovering your area!

    I hope God brings you peace spiritually. It can be hard at times to wrestle with and work through ideas and questions. Whatever it is you'll get through it. God will be there. Bless you!

    By the way I love your blog! It's a breath of fresh air when I'm making the rounds. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I am one of those home school moms....and please, don't be amazed!!!!

    Oh the boys...give them a shove and go let them dig! I was reading a book and thought of you..."How do You Tuck in a Superhero" by Rachel Balducci


    Yea on the TEXAS sheet cake...sounds good and it celebrates my state!!

    Have a great week as God brings you to Him and teaches you what He wants you to learn...He is so gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I am a homeschooling mom, too ... and I promise, there is no amazement here unless, of course, you count the amazement over how someone like me would ever homeschool in the first place!
    And, about the Food Inc, thing, I would love to watch it but I know I would only end up totally disturbed. I can already imagine exactly what it exposes... I recently starting reading up on the dangers of household cleaners and self care products b/c of the ingredients in them that we inhale and put on our skin...not just once or twice from one or two things but over and over, everyday from multiple sources of toxins. It was very disturbing and alarming... along the same lines as the food. We've been making some slow changes at replacing many products in our home b/c of that. It is my prayer that God could provide land for us to garden more ... you are so blessed to have that option!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails