Friday, April 8, 2011

Food on the Brain


I went to the grocery store this morning. In the rain. With my two youngest children.

But, we really, really needed to go. The cupboards and refrigerator were bare.

This actually resulted in 2 good things.

1. I cleaned my refrigerator. Technically, I'm not done cleaning it yet. I had to do it in sections. It was that bad. I would share pictures with you but then you would think less of me. You really would. Let's just say, I watched an episode of Hoarders and realized that the inside of my refrigerator looked just as bad as the guy's on the show.

2. I had a stroke of genius for last night's dinner. I looked what remaining ingredients I had and came up with this: Chicken topped with Crab Au Gratin, Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Onions, Carrot & Celery Salad. Not too shabby for a last minute meal idea if I say so myself.
(My poor menu on the sidebar has been sadly neglected. I need to get back into the habit of planning out my weekly menus. We had that sickness a few weeks back and then I never got back into the swing of things).


Now our cupboards and refrigerator are restocked. But, I spent way more money than I wanted to and I STILL forget 2 items (and I used a list!).

You know I've been a mom now for almost 8 years. And, all this time we've had an older pac n play. It was a hand me down from a friend of mine. We pretty much have stored it in the attic and used it for when we travel with the children (We used it when the boys were babies and we went camping).
This is similar to the one we have.
image found here
Somehow, the thought never occurred to me to use this beautiful child-containment device when bringing in and putting away groceries. Instead I'd bring the kids inside and try to run back and forth to the van (We do not have a garage) with load after load of groceries all while the little one cries and tries to cling to my leg and/or escape out the door.

Today, the lightbulb went off in my head. I stuck the boys in the pac n play with some books and crackers and bringing in and putting away the groceries was almost enjoyable!

On that note, I'm going to go now and enjoy a couple more pieces of one of my all-time favorite candies that I permitted myself to get today. Hopefully, I show some restraint and don't make myself sick.
RUNTS!
I love these things!
image found here

Have a very excellent and blessed weekend!

3 comments:

  1. That's too funny about the fridge but I think it is true of all of us. My fridge is full of sticky leaky condiments. Yuck I want to just throw all these use once in a while items away but then you need it.

    Pack and play great idea. Or you could just load all the grocery's into it and wheel it into the house.

    Sounds like a fantastic dinner and 4 stars for on the fly.

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dinner...and you know I remember those days of trying to get the kids out and all the groceries in...oh, my! Memories are flooding back...one day you will have to hear one of them.

    Don't blink, this time will be gone too fast!
    Have an awesome weekend...you are still losing weight..Go Girl!!!

    As an encouragement I got to my smallest size ever (smaller than high school) after my fourth child...it stayed that way until I got pregnant with number 5, 5 years latter...I think it was from keeping up with 4 under age 7!!! Keep it up and you will meet your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL enjoy those runts. I enjoyed the post, I missed visiting you!!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails