Friday, February 11, 2011

Good Things

Today I am celebrating good things.

Things like this yummy bar of dark chocolate I picked up yesterday just for me....


And, the cute little sign I've been waiting to become available again at Vintage Chic Boutique...and I picked up today!


In addition I found a fun cookbook there! ( I love cookbooks!)



I am also thrilled that yesterday's mail brought me my order from Seeds Family Worship! The prayer journals are a bit (ok - a lot) smaller than I thought they would be, but they're still cute. Don't forget you still have time to enter for my giveaway where you can win the CD and a prayer journal!


I'm jazzed about the new chore routine we've tried out the last couple weeks with the boys. And, they seem to really like it too. Here's a picture of our Responsibilities & Chores chart. We worked together to make the list...


The daily responsibilities are things they are expected to do each day as part of our family (no reimbursement for their services). The chores are the things they can do to earn money toward a weekly allowance. Each item is worth 10 cents and they can choose which ones they'd like to do. So, essentially they earn as much or as little money each week as they choose.

We keep track of completed chores in a super simple way. It has to be super simple for my sake because I'm notorious for starting chore charts, etc. and not keeping up with the maintenance of it. They each have their own plastic container with their name and we also have a container stocked with colored popsicle sticks. When they complete their chore they show me for my approval that it was completed satisfactorily and then they pick a popsicle stick and put it in their container. At the end of the week we count the sticks to see how much allowance they earned. So far it's fallen in the $1 to $1.50 range.


I'm also celebrating those rare moments that the boys play together nicely...



And, I'm definitely celebrating that tonight my husband and I are having a date night! John's parents are watching the boys and we are going to the Sweetheart Banquet at church.
I love this man! (Even though he always makes goofy faces for the camera. Yes. That's his tongue sticking out.)


I hope your day has been filled with some good things as well! Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Love the post!Oh I hope you have a beautiful time tonight Karen! You deserve it! Hope you let us know how it went! Marla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Karen, this is so incredibly organized - it's like SuperNanny's been there!! We have the same system with expected jobs (no allowance) and bonus chores for pay ... but I wish we'd write them down and have a consistent pay system like you have - so smart!! Been meaning to ask ... what did you decide to do @ the thumbsucking? I have a lifelong thumbsucking 9-year-old (sigh!) ...

    Hope you have a fabulous date night tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a wonderful date night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your popsicle stick idea! We have daily responsibilities...but lately Brady has been asking to do more to earn money. I wasn't quite sure how to come up with a money amount...I really like this idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like the popsicle stick idea. I may have to borrow that one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails