Monday, January 31, 2011

Oh So Funky

No, this is not a post about funky fashions or funky music. If you were hoping for that, I'm sorry to disappoint.

This is a post about an entirely different kind of funk.

You know...a winter-time blahs FUNK.


I've got the classic FUNK symptoms - general lethargy, irritability, blahness.

Last night was a classic example of how little things can turn a bit of the funk into a full-blown FUNK.

Our church was having a family night at the local rec center. I was feeling very unmotivated and a bit irritable to start. Then, my husband mentioned that the pool would be open at the rec that night and that he would take the bigger boys swimming for part of the night.

That little tidbit of information set me off. He told the boys to go get their swimsuits. I freaked out.

"They CAN'T get their swimsuits. They don't know where they are. I'm not even sure I know where they are right now. I put them away for the winter! They're up in the attic somewhere. It's the middle winter for crying out loud. I didn't think I'd need swimsuits!"

Note the shell-shocked expression on my husband's face. Ok, imagine the shell-shocked expression on my husband's face as I turned into a full-blown ball of stress. And then I started flying around the house trying to find their swimsuits, mumbling and grumbling the whole time.

Needless to say, we drove to the rec night in silence...me glaring out the window. I never did find everyone's swimsuit. I had one for Charlie in his size. Edison was going to use one that was actually too small. And, Wyatt was going to use a pair of shorts.

Looking back on the evening, it's really hard for me to pinpoint why I was so terribly grumpy.

But, it's been happening a lot lately.

I'm partially blaming it on the mid-winter blues. Call it SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Call it cabin fever. Whatever you call it, winter is usually a little rough around here.

So, I'm looking for some anti-funk suggestions. What works for you when you are in a funk? How do you pull yourself back out?

Now I think I'm going to have to go bake a peace offering for my family. Maybe I'll try this or this.



8 comments:

  1. Peace, calm, and quiet? not found here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes just a change in my surroundings. Go to an art museum by myself...my favorite is to get in the car, alone, and put old classics on really high and sing...I seem to feel young again, post memories and laughter usually flood over my body.

    I stop for a Dr Pepper, forget the diet, and just feel like a teen again.

    Thanks for you post...I am feeling this also right now...mine is from the same old struggles continuing and I can't see any end...so I need to take my own suggestions today, before the sleet and snow hit again...the house cleaning can wait while I re-energize.

    Blessings as you find what works for you...been there often myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please share your tips once you receive them, I am in that same funk. I haven't found much helps, especially when news is all gloom and doom, it is a tough time of year. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya!
    All I keep telling myself is that spring is coming- spring is coming!
    I promise you Karen- it is coming.
    As for the rest of the family-
    If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!

    (Sorry- maybe not so Christian- huh?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter is hard.lack of sun.cabin fever.Like what chatty mommy said.So very true.i HAVE DAYS LIKE THIS TOO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my....the other night I was so grumpy. I gave myself a time out...apologized to the kids...went to bed early. The next day I felt so much better.
    They just have to know...we get grumpy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Karen! I've been in a bit of a funk lately too...I think all this baking and sugar has me in a funk alone. It's a vicious cycle isn't it? I'm in need of some long walks and fresh air. I hate the cold so I tend to hybernate this time of year.
    What about a couple hours alone some evening to walk around Target? There's a Starbucks there. Or, you can give me a call...I'd love to go for coffee with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. definitely get some time by yourself! get out of the house, go out to dinner with a girlfriend and just talk and vent. it works wonders! hope you feel better soon! puxatony phil says spring is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails