Tuesday, February 21, 2012


I need to give a quickie update.  I know my last post was something of a downer.  And, here's the thing....I can always tell when I'm building up to a meltdown.  I can always tell when I need a break.  But, I don't always know how to ask for it.  Thankfully my break came anyway this weekend.

First of all, friends invited us to come have lunch at their house after church on Sunday.  This was completely a spur of the moment invitation.  And, I'm so glad they opened their home to us in that way.  One of the things I really needed was some interpersonal interaction.  Face to face interaction.  As grateful as I am for the social outlet that Facebook & blogging provide, there's nothing quite like talking & laughing with friends in person.

Then, my parents arranged to pick up all four of our boys late Sunday afternoon.  Since the older two had off school on Monday, my mom thought this would be the perfect opportunity for the boys to have a sleepover & to spend a little time at Grandma & Grandpa's house.  

What a treat!  My parents stopped by to pick up the boys around 4:00.  Till everyone was loaded up and ready to go it was about 5:00.  And, while it's always a little hard to say good-bye to my boys, it also meant that John and I had the night to ourselves!

We went to our Financial Peace class at church.  Then, afterwards, since we didn't have to rush home, we stopped at Applebee's for a light & late dinner.  We got home to a quiet house and that felt so strange.  

Monday morning I slept in...until 8:30!!!  I can't remember the last time I did that!  Then I lingered over my coffee & breakfast while praying and reading my Bible.  Since no one was around, I could pray out loud and uncensored.  Praying out loud by myself is one of my favorite ways to pray.  Too often I get distracted & am unable to stay focused when I'm praying silently.  But, praying out loud feels like I'm having an actual conversation with God.  (Praying out loud in front of other people is a whole other story...I'm incredibly uncomfortable doing it).

I spent about an hour or so with God.  Then, after taking a shower, tidying up a bit, starting a load of laundry, and returning a few phone calls, it was close to lunch time.  And, I had plans to take my Grandma to lunch.  

After Grandma & I had lunch I took her with me over to my parent's to pick up the boys.  She wanted the opportunity to see them too.  Grandma recently moved into a nursing home and she gets so lonely there.  Visits with her great-grandchildren are precious to her.

When we arrived at my parent's house, my mom filled me in on all the details of their overnight adventure.  All four boys slept on the living room floor with mats & sleeping bags & Aunt Sharon (my youngest sister) to oversee them all.   Then, Monday morning my mom & Sharon took the boys to The Turkey Hill Experience.  (Turkey Hill is a local company that owns gas stations & minute markets and that makes some of the best ice cream and iced tea you've ever tasted.)

Apparently, everyone else had the same idea for a 'no school day' outing, because my mom said it was incredibly busy there.  They still braved it and somehow manage to corral four boys through unscathed.  They then took the boys to McDonald's for lunch.  My boys love anytime anyone is willing to take them for fast food!

So, the end result was - My boys got to have fun and spend time with Grandma & Grandpa & Aunt Sharon.  And, I got a break, some time alone with my husband, and some time to myself, and some time with God. 

I sure feel refreshed!  (Thanks Mom!  It was your idea and what a great idea it was!)


  1. That sounds like SUCH an awesome almost-24 hours!

  2. lucky you! Time to myself is my favorite thing in the world. What a nice mom/grandma.

    And thanks for your comment on my blog today. Those sucky childhoods make great adults, right?


Related Posts with Thumbnails