Thursday, January 11, 2018

Are We Paying Attention to What We're Singing




I've hemmed & hawed over whether or not to write this post.  I know that it's going to come across to some as sounding critical.  At the same time, this has been on my mind for a long time. And, I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person who spends so much time thinking about this.  And, at the very least I figure if I share this it might encourage others to give it some thought as well.

I'm talking about worship music...specifically music sung at church.  Let me start by saying that I have great respect for worship leaders and worship teams. They have a huge responsibility as they lead the congregation into worship.  In  2 Chronicles 20 we see where the singers & musicians led the Israelite army into battle.  As they sang praises to God, the enemies of the Israelites destroyed each other and the Israelites won without having to engage the enemy.  What a powerful image this is of those who lead us in song and praise as God fights the battle for us!

And, I'm sure it can be difficult to choose the music...music that will set the stage for the coming message, music that engages the congregation, music that honors God.

I guess that's the litmus test for me.  Does the music honor God?  Is it theologically correct?  Everyone enjoys different styles of music.  Some prefer an upbeat worship song.  Some prefer those that are soft & create a prayerful, reflective state of mind.

I enjoy both styles.  And, there is a lot of really powerful and rich worship music out there.  Still, I find myself distracted or even annoyed during some songs.  Why is that?

I'll admit that one of my hangups is repetitive worship songs.  I actually find it extremely distracting to repeat the same line over and over and over again.  The line starts to lose any meaning for me.  And, I find myself mentally trying to figure out when they might move on to a new song so we can actually sing some new words.  But, this isn't necessarily theologically bad.  In fact, some people find this useful for meditating on God and the truth that is spoken in that line.  (It still bugs me though)

But, when the WORDS don't line up with what we know to be true about God, then I really struggle.  Words are extremely important to me.  In fact, words matter a great deal for all of us I believe.  And, I believe words are important to God.  After all, Jesus is called 'The Word'.  'In the beginning was The Word and The Word was with God and The Word was God.'  And, all throughout Bible history words and their meanings are crucial in naming locations and in people's names.

Let me give some specific examples of lyrics that use words that don't line up with the meaning they are trying to convey about God.

"The One That Really Matters"  You can find the full lyrics here....https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/michaelwsmith/theonethatreallymatters.html

This is one of those songs that is incredibly repetitive.  I can only sing "You're the One That Really Matters" a handful of times before my eyes start to glaze over.  But, my real issue with this song is with this lyric....
"And I can't help but scream about the way that You moved in
Chaotic love has messed me up so I could live again"
Chaotic love has messed me up?   Um no.

First of all, this lyric is a bit of a trigger for me.  Because in my past I did indeed have experiences with chaotic love that truly messed me up....not in a good way.  This lyric has nothing but a negative connotation for me.

But, I also understand that the author is using poetic license to try to describe God's love and how it can come in and surprise us, rattle our plans or the control we thought we had over our lives, and move us in a totally different direction that allows us to truly live in freedom.  I 'get' what is trying to be expressed.

Even so, I still have a problem with the lyric.  Again, because words matter.  And, when we describe God's love, I think it's completely inappropriate to describe it as 'chaotic' which by definition means "in a state of complete confusion and disorder."


1 Corinthians 14:3For God is not a God of disorder but of peace

God's love is powerful.  It is indescribable. It is holy.  It is intense.  His love is matchless and enduring.  We could find verses to verify all of these.  But, what it is not is chaotic.  
Another song that uses a similar phrase is "Reckless Love" .  Full lyrics here....
https://bethelmusic.com/chords-and-lyrics/reckless-love/

I actually really really like this song.  But, when we get to this line, "Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God" I get caught up on that word 'reckless' each and every time.  Again by definition reckless means "(of a person or their actions) without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action."

WE are reckless.  WE make choices without thinking through the effects and consequences.  God, however, DOES think and care about the consequences of an action....specifically the action of giving His own Son.  He was very intentional in this.  It might seem ridiculous or unthinkable to us.  But, it is not reckless by any stretch of the imagination.

These are just two examples of questionable lyrics in modern worship.  And, some might say that I'm being overly picky...that God knows what we're trying to say....that no matter what words we use they remain inadequate to describe a Majestic, Holy, All Powerful God.  And, I can definitely see the argument for this point of view. 

I would just also challenge us to examine some of the things we sing a little more carefully.  Is it true?  Is it biblically sound?  Does it accurately reflect the character of God? 

As Christians I believe one of our callings as the body is to try to accurately reflect the character of God....in word and in deed.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails