Monday, January 14, 2013

His Word

I struggle with reading God's Word.  In this day and age there are so many books, articles, internet sites, blog posts, etc. on just about every imaginable topic.  It sometimes seems easier to turn to one of those than to God's Word.

I long for something that speaks specifically to me - to my situation.  It's sometimes easier to Google 'parenting issues', 'ways to deal with anger/stress/depression' or whatever topic is heavy on my heart and see a multitude of information and opinion at just a click than it is to wade through God's Word, which can sometimes seem obscure.

There's some good, reliable info out there.  There are many gifted Christian writers who offer sound biblical perspective on different issues.  But, it's no replacement for God's Word.

And, if I'm totally honest, I rarely turn to God's Word.  I don't make the scriptures a regular part of my life.  It often feels like.... a chore.

But our pastor said something yesterday that really struck a chord with me.  He was discussing how vital it is for us to make reading God's Word a regular part of our lives.  He said.....The value we place on scripture IS the value we place on God.  We can't ignore His Words and claim to love Him.

Ouch.

I had a rough week last week and as often happens when I have a crisis of some sort I actually turned to scripture.  I came across Psalm 119 - what I later learned is the longest of the Psalms.  In it I found parts that talked about discernment, good judgement, wisdom - words that I needed.

After feeling challenged by our pastor's sermon I decided to return to Psalm 119 - mostly because I didn't really know where to start in my quest to make scripture a part of my daily life.  And, as it turns out, Psalm 119 is all about God's Word - His precepts, His commands.

I decided that it would be fitting to meditate on this Psalm for awhile.

I am hoping that this is the beginning of a journey to immerse myself in God's Word...and in God.  It also coincides with a month long break from Facebook.  It is my hope to turn my attention and focus back to God.

And, I will hold on to the promise that God wants to speak to me through His Word.  It's not His intention that His words be difficult to understand.

Isaiah 45:19 says
"I am the Lord and there is no other.
I have not spoken in secret from somewhere in a land of darkness.
I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'seek me in vain'.
I, the Lord, speak the truth.  I declare what is right."

I'm thinking I may blog/journal through this meditation on Psalm 119 taking small parts of it at a time.  Feel free to join me.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails